Important – Specimen labeling and delivery:
- Ensure full first and last names and date of birth (dd/mm/yy) are clearly written on the specimen container
- Ensure date and time of collection is written on the request form and specimen container
- Take the specimen to a Labtests Collection Centre as soon after collection as possible
(Tick appropriate box)
You have been provided with a 24 hour urine container and urine punnets to collect a 24 hour urine sample.
- Start the urine collect early in the morning and record the date and time on the 24 hour urine container label.
- Completely empty bladder at this time and DISCARD the urine.
- During the next 24 hours, collect ALL urine passed into the clean urine punnet and transfer into the 24 hour urine container.
- Exactly 24 hours after the start time, empty your bladder, collect the urine and transfer to the 24 hour urine container.
- Record the completion date and time on the 24 hour urine container label.
- If more than one 24 hour urine container is used, label the bottles 1 and 2.
- Store the 24 hour urine collect in a cool place.
- Maintain good fluid intake during urine collection. Avoid vigorous exercise during the test period (24 hours)
- Avoid taking Cortisol inform your Doctor
- Deliver container and form to the Collection Centre and a blood test will be taken
- Three specimens are collected on different days and each specimen must be delivered daily to the Collection Centre on the day of collection.
- Drink as much fluid as possible and collect specimen mid-morning (the first urine in the morning should not be used). A minimum of 50ml urine is required in the container provided
- Write your full name (first name and last name) and date of birth (dd/mm/yy) clearly on the container and either Specimen 1,2 or 3
- Ensure date and time of collection are written on the form
- Take each specimen (and form) into the Collection Centre each day as soon after collection as possible. Refrigerate if delay anticipated.
Date Issued: 23/10/2018 PCS-PI-008
Authorised by: HOD, Patient Services