Wash your hands before starting
Warning: Do not take internally. If the contents of the tube are spilled on your skin, wash the affected area with soap and water. If the contents of the tube are splashed in your eyes immediately flush your eyes with water. Notify your doctor, nurse, or care provider if irritation develops. If the contents of the tube are spilled, your test result may be invalidated.
- Partially peel open the swab package. Remove the blue swab. Do not touch the soft tip or lay the swab down. If the soft tip is touched, the swab is laid down, or the swab is dropped, request a new collection kit. A white swab is also available to clean the area prior to sampling if required. Discard after use. This swab must not be placed in the transport tube.
- Hold the swab in your hand placing your thumb and forefinger in the middle of the swab shaft covering the score line. Do not hold the swab shaft below the score line.
- Carefully insert the swab into your vagina about 2 inches (5 cm) inside the opening of the vagina and gently rotate the swab for 10 to 30 seconds. Make sure the swab touches the walls of the vagina so that moisture is absorbed by the swab and then withdraw the swab without touching the skin.
- While holding the swab in the same hand, unscrew the cap from the tube. Do not spill contents of the tube. Note: If the tube contents are spilled, discard and replace with a new one.
- Immediately place the swab into the transport tube so that the score line is at the top of the tube.
- Carefully break the swab shaft at the score line against the side of the tube.
- Immediately discard the top portion of the swab shaft.
- Tightly screw the cap onto the tube.