PLEASE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR YOUR GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST
Call 09 574 7399
- The Glucose Tolerance Test is not performed on patients known to be diabetic.
- You should remain on a normal diet for at least 3 days before your test.
- Do not take any corticosteroid medication in the morning before your test. You can take other medications prescribed by your Doctor unless you have been told not to.
- Inform the Phlebotomist if you have been unwell during the last 2 weeks.
- The test should start no later than 10.00am.
- You should remain relaxed before and during your test with normal quiet activity.
- For accurate results you are asked to not smoke, eat or drink for 10 hours before your blood test and during the test.
- A minimum of 10 hours fasting is required and no more than 16 hours.
- If you are thirsty, you may drink plain water only
- (No coffee, tea, milk, fruit juice, lemonade , alcohol ,chewing gum or lollies)
- An initial fasting blood sample will be collected and then you will be given a Carbotest drink. After 2 hours another blood sample will be collected.
- You need to stay at the Collection Centre for the entire test, approximately 2½ hours, so bring some reading material or other activity to pass the time.
Date Issued: 13/03/2023 PCS-PI-010
Authorised by: Operations Manager