Important – Specimen labeling and delivery:
- Ensure full first and last names and date of birth (dd/mm/yy) are clearly written on the 24 hour urine container label
- Ensure date and time of collection is written on the request form and 24 hour urine container label
- Take the specimen to a Labtests Collection Centre as soon after collection as possible
24 Hour urine containers:
You have been provided with a 24 hour urine container and urine punnets to collect a 24 hour urine sample.
Caution: HYDROCHLORIC ACID preservative has been added to the container
- Store container out of reach of children.
- Do not discard the acid preservative in container before commencing collection
- Do not void urine directly into the 24 hr urine container
- Void urine into another clean container first and transfer the urine into the 24 hr urine container
- Start the urine collect early in the morning and record the date and time on the 24 hour urine container label.
- Completely empty bladder at this time and DISCARD the urine.
- During the next 24 hours, collect ALL urine passed into the clean urine punnet and transfer into the 24 hour urine container.
- Exactly 24 hours after the start time, empty your bladder, collect the urine and transfer to the 24 hour urine container.
- Record the completion date and time on the 24 hour urine container label.
- If more than one 24 hour urine container is used, label the bottles 1 and 2.
- Store the 24 hour urine collect in a cool place.
Date Issued: 23/10/2018 PCS-PI-017
Authorised by: HOD, Patient Services